Making clear ice cubes is a great way to make your drinks more refreshing without watering down the flavor. Clear ice cubes make any drink look cool and delicious! In this blog post, we will show you how to make clear ice cubes for your next barbecue or party.
Ice Cubes for Drinks
Ice cubes are used to make drinks chilled. Some people use ice cubes because it is easier than making an ice cold drink from scratch, or they may want the melted water produced by the drink maker machine to make a cocktail with one of their favorite juices.
Whatever your reason for using them, you probably have noticed that some clear ice cubes look much better than others when added to any beverage!
Tips to make Clear Ice Cubes
Here are some tips on how make clear ice cubes at home:
- Make sure that everything that touches the water is thoroughly clean and free of debris before starting.
- Use distilled/reverse osmosis filtered water instead of tap water.
- Allow time for crystals to form in solution rather than force rapid freezing.
- Do not make large batches of ice at once, make batches in small amounts.
- Allow the cubes to freeze completely before removing them from their tray or mold.
- Keep an eye on your clear ice cubes throughout freezing process for any signs of clouding/tint. If this happens, use clean water and make sure that all equipment is properly cleaned.
- Store clear ice in a container when it’s not being used so its surface stays intact instead of melting into other drinks.
What Water Should I Use?
Some people make the mistake of thinking that all water is equal when it comes to making clear ice cubes. However, this could not be further from the truth! The type of water you use will make a big difference in terms of how clear your final product will be.
The best option for crystal-clear ice cubes is distilled or reverse osmosis (RO) filtered water. This is because both of these types of water have been purified and contain very little impurities. If you do not have access to either of these options, then using cold tap water is your next best bet. Just make sure to filter it if possible before using it in your ice cube tray. Avoid using hot tap water at all costs – this will cause the formation of cloudy ice cubes.
Does Salt Make Ice Clear?
If you are looking for an easy way to make cloudy ice cubes look more transparent, then adding salt is not the solution! In fact, adding salt to ice does make it melt faster, but this also causes impurities to be released into the water. As a result, your final product will not be as clear as if you had used pure water.
Steps to make Clear Ice Cubes
Now that you know everything there is to know about making clear ice cubes, it’s time for you to put this knowledge into practice! Here are the simple steps:
- Start by cleaning all of your equipment thoroughly. This includes your ice cube tray or mold, as well as any spoons or ladles you will be using.
- Fill a pot with distilled/reverse osmosis filtered water and place it on the stove. Turn up the heat until the water begins to boil.
- Once boiling, carefully pour the water into your ice cube tray or mold. Be very careful not to splash any water out of the tray or make any bubbles – this could make your ice cubes cloudy.
- Close the lid on your tray/mold, and allow time for crystals to form before freezing completely. If you are using a plastic mold, follow manufacturer’s instructions because some can be harmful if frozen at high temperatures!
- Once solidified, remove clear ice from its mold by gently tapping it with an object like spoon handle until they loosen up. Then pull them out carefully so as not to break them apart too much (it is okay if they crack slightly). You may need gloves when handling very cold clear ice cubes!
- Store clear ice in clean container until ready for use. Remember that once these cubes melt into other drinks, their surface area will expand and make the drink look cloudy.
Feeling Like a Pro!
Now that you know how to make clear ice cubes like a pro, there’s no need to put up with unsightly cloudy ones ever again! Simply follow these simple tips and enjoy your drinks!